Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Sunday, July 03, 2005



3 Months Back (Some Thoughts)

It's been 3 months since i picked up that first batch of comics at Big Planet (my LCS) after my hiatus. Since that day, i've bought a bazillian floppies and a seemingly equal amount of TPB's from a couple LCS's and about 3 or 4 different online shops. I've picked up virtually every title that piqued my interest (to the end of my wallet) in an attempt to figure out which books i want to be reading more of (or subscribing to), and which were just an experiment. I've definitely figured out that there is not enough money in the coffers to support my new habit (certainly not at this pace). There's SO much i want to read and digest, and so little money/time to do it.

Ah well, the good news is i will be happy as a clam w/ my reading stack for a long while to come.

What's surprised me most? The overall quality of material/talent out there these days - 15 years is a lot of very GOOD comics/GN's to catch up on. There's so much good stuff i've missed, and so much currently, i'm kicking myself for stopping reading at all so long ago (it's hard to even remember why i did through all the murk of the past decade). I've been so snowed under by it all that i started this very blog as much to journal all of this for myself as to share my experiences (happy 1-week birthday to Zilla and the Comics Junkies). I mean who woulda thunk i'd be that into it?

I definitely need to extend a special thanks to everyone @ CBR, my LCS (esp. Greg Bennett), and all the great comics sites/blogs i peruse daily for some great recommendations - and for putting up w/ my noob questions day after day.

Over the next week or so - i'll probably have a few more posts geared directly towards reminiscing over these past 3 months... sharing more of what i've learned/found and other thoughts/opions. Probably some "so far" favs (like writer, penciler/artist, titles, TPB, publisher, online shop, blogs, forums, etc.). Keep with me (this blog will hopefully only get better and more intelligent in the coming months). Thanks.



5 Comments:

03 July, 2005 12:23, Blogger Mark Fossen said...

It really is a shockingly good time for comics right now, isn't it? :)

Look forward to hearing some of your favorites. I know you're digging Kirkman ... I gotta try me some of that.

 
03 July, 2005 12:55, Blogger Christopher Green said...

I don't knwo if you'll be able to find it anymore, but you should try checking out Dark Minds. The entire 8 issues mini series was collected in small trades, and eventually one large trade. It was a great series by Canadian penciller Pat Lee (who recently did X-Men/Fantastic Four) about a couple of futuristic detectives investigating a series of strange murders. I don't have the first three issues, but even without them I still thoroughly enjoyed the series. I recomend it if you can find it, problem is Dreamwave Productions went belly-up a while ago. The first series was under the Image imprint though, so you might still be able to get it.

 
03 July, 2005 13:13, Blogger zilla said...

yeah mark i can hardly believe it. i'm serious i was just thinking to myself the other day what a shame it is how much i've missed the last 15 years. luckily with TPB's we can go back and get a hold of anything these days (when i was a kid it was almost impossible, or at least economically infeasible) to get a hold of back issues.

 
03 July, 2005 13:14, Blogger zilla said...

Uncensored - i'll add that to my research list... see if i can't dig up the trade.

 
03 July, 2005 14:47, Blogger Christopher Green said...

Awesome.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel