Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Wednesday, July 06, 2005



7.7 Shopping List

After picking up zero, nada, zilch @ the LCS last week, i'm doubly excited about this week. Can't wait. Here's my tentative shopping list for thursday:

DARK HORSE
USAGI YOJIMBO #85 - pull list.

DC COMICS
PLANETARY: ALL OVER THE WORLD AND OTHER STORIES TPB - Going to grab this on recommendation of my new friend and fellow comics blogger Mark Fossen (Focused Totality). He proudly claims this to be his favorite title by far - and that's good enough for me at the moment. Maybe i'll finally have some DC to look forward to.
GOTHAM CENTRAL: IN THE LINE OF DUTY TPB - Recommended by a commenter here at Zilla and the Comics Junkies. another thinly veiled attempt to increase my DC readership from 1 (Loeb's Superman/Batman) to... more.

IMAGE
BATTLE POPE COLOR #1 - never read Battle Pope the first time around and so i'm definitely hype to check it out. this is probably my most anticipated book of the week. Kirkman rules.

MARVEL
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #79 - pull list (even though last issue was kind of weak).
INCREDIBLE HULK #83 - I thought this was supposed to come out 7.7 but it's missing from diamond's shipping list. I'm a huge Hulk fan but have deliberately waited (on advice from some at CBR) until #83 to avoid confusion. can't wait to jump back into this title.
DEFENDERS #1 - another title i'm anticipating (more hulk!) that is supposed to come out thursday that's not listed in the diamond list... hopefully it'll show up. there's definitely mixed emotions about this title across comicdom but i for one can't wait - art looks great, and in general the defenders cast is solid IMO (creative team AND characters).
HOUSE OF M #3 - buying this one whether i like it or not (it's at least interesting so far but hope it picks up a bit soon).
YOUNG AVENGERS - I picked up issue #1 a while ago and really wasn't feeling it for some reason... the good press continues though and makes me feel like i'm missing something good, so i plan to give this another shot (plan to pick up the latest issue and then stick w/ it for a few).
RUNAWAYS Vol. 1 TPB - I can't stop hearing that this title is the cats ass so i'm def going to check out the first trade and see what it's all about. looking forward to this considering the buzz.

OTHER
SHAOLIN COWBOY #3 - I know this came out last week (i think) or even 2 weeks ago, but i have yet to pick it up. Loved #2 (even though it was WAY out there) so looking forward to #3. The pencils/coloring in this book are great IMO.
IMAGINARIES #1 - I'm hoping i can still track this down at my LCS.
DOC FRANKENSTIEN #? - I've been thinking about picking up the latest issue of this to check it out... this may be the week to do it.



15 Comments:

06 July, 2005 13:10, Blogger Christopher Green said...

Be sure and post your thoughts on Battle Pope. I'm thinking of buying it but I'm still undecided.

 
06 July, 2005 14:38, Blogger Ryan X said...

Zilla,
Maybe no one reads your blog, but this thirty-three year old ex-comic junkie did this morning and you may have re-routed my future! Little backstory:
About a year ago, I discovered an amazing LCS (I have been reading your blog all morning so the cool acronyms are your fault!) roughly 2 minutes from my office. One lunch hour I popped in...$95 later I walked out having renewed (I thought) my comic book addiction from the days of Secret Wars and Web of Spidey, etc etc. 6 months later, the passion sort of fizzled, I thought, "what am I doing spending all my cash on comics, I am a father for Christ's sake!". Anyway, it wasn't quite that dramatic, but you know what I mean, something changed for me, I can't explain it. So today I am getting a little bored at work and I start cruising through my favorites folder. I start clicking links that have been getting dusty to see what I am missing. The second or third one is CBR. I go in and read a few articles, mildly interested. I click into the community folders. A couple minutes later I am reading one of your posts and see your Weblog address and sub-title (15 year hiatus etc) and I am instantly going to your blog. Well, the rest is self-explanatory. After perusing a couple of blogs like yours I realize that their are lots of 30 somethings out there re-awakening their glory years as comic book addicts. I hit the LCS at lunch...control myself somewhat...grab a few TPBs and one floppy and I am off the wagon for good I think. I am seething with anticipation to hit the books I got today and the ones that I left unread at home. I almost feel guilty for having sold a few TPBs on amazon.com during my "dark days" this year. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I will be following your blog as I (re)start my new obsession and try to keep up with all the new stuff. Thanks for opening at least one door!! Take care.

Ryan

 
06 July, 2005 15:16, Blogger zilla said...

hey ryan welcome to the club! make sure you check out Kurt Addams' "Return to Comics" and Mark Fossen's "Focused Totality". They're the other two blogging members of our 30-something return to comics crew (i read their blogs daily). i've learned so much in the past 3 months i hope i can help keep you interested this time (sometimes all it takes is a little support from some like-minded pals)... ps the folks at CBR are great.

 
06 July, 2005 15:18, Blogger zilla said...

PS i've been looking for contributors to my blog - especially people (like you) with a similar "theme" going on - so if you've ever felt the urge to share your thoughts/opinions about anything relating (even remotely) to comics - i'd LOVE to have you (seriously). just drop me an email.

 
06 July, 2005 16:14, Blogger Mark Fossen said...

Gah! Pressure! 'PLANETARY: ALL OVER THE WORLD AND OTHER STORIES TPB' just based off little ol' me????

Seriously, Zilla. You don't at least *like* it, I'll buy it from you. I already have it in HC, but I'll give you a full refund if you think it's ****.

 
06 July, 2005 16:27, Blogger zilla said...

you know what mark - we don't know each other that well but i def trust your judgement - i'm sure i'll love it. can't wait to get my hands on it! if only i had unlimited funds (how long can my wife continue to support this outward flow of cash?)...

 
06 July, 2005 16:27, Blogger zilla said...

ps mark you need to post a weekly what you're buying even if it's only a list sans comments (but comments would be nice)... i'd love to see what you're picking up.

 
06 July, 2005 16:28, Blogger zilla said...

oh yeah and one more thing: mark - meet ryan and ryan - meet mark.

 
06 July, 2005 17:16, Blogger Mark Fossen said...

I plan a weekly Shopping List, Zilla. I'll be posting it in the morning ... I have to pace myself, unlike you. :)

I'm also blogging and reviewing at the game site, so I need to soetimes make sure I've got something to fill a day that I might otherwise not be able to post.

 
06 July, 2005 17:17, Blogger Mark Fossen said...

Ryan, glad to se you back on board!

 
06 July, 2005 17:18, Blogger zilla said...

what gaming site? i'll have to check that out... and no worries about the posting i just want to read what you're buying every week :)

as for me - it sure is nice to have a deskjob in front of a computer!

 
06 July, 2005 17:48, Blogger Greg said...

Planetary is the best title out there. Seriously. Okay, only two issues come out in a calendar year, but it's amazing. You will love it. Yes, that's a bold statement, but fortune favors the bold!

 
06 July, 2005 20:13, Blogger Mark Fossen said...

A deskjob in front of a computer is good.

A deskjob in front of a computer working from home with the main office 2000 miles away is better. :)

I don't *work* for the gaming site, I just write and do tech stuff there for fun. The site is http://www.operationsports.com ... I have another blog there, and do reviews, etc.

 
07 July, 2005 12:56, Blogger Ed Cunard said...

Now, Rod... did you get STREET ANGEL and SCOTT PILGRIM yet?

 
07 July, 2005 14:34, Blogger Ryan X said...

Thanks for the big welcome to the group! This looks very promising. Zilla, I will definitely be contributing to your blog in the future, just need to catch up a little bit. Thanks for the support! I'll email you a bit later.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel