Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Friday, July 01, 2005



Hellboy (the Movie)

I started to watch Hellboy for the first time 2 nights ago - but passed out halfway through. Knowing what i know now, i don't think it had anything to do with the movie, i was just dog tired (rough week crankin' the wheel at work). My wife almost returned the DVD to netflix yesterday morning but i told her i'd give it one more go. Last night she had class late (grad school) so i sat down with a mountainous bowl of cereal and started over from the beginning.

Through the first 1/3 of this movie i was really starting to feel like this was going to be a bad review. i wasn't sure if i liked what they had done w/ the Hellboy character (not the way he looked, that was solid, but the way he acted/was written), and the humor felt forced. it seemed like this was going to be another one of those cases of "cool-something-turned-mainstream", try and appeal to too many and you end up appealing to none type deal. i was starting to spot stuff i felt like they added here and there just for mass appeal (and some of the wire fighting scenes early on were pretty cruddy and obviously cabled).

But as the movie rolled on, i started to really dig it (especially through the second half). There were some genuinely funny moments - like when he was on the roof top spying on Liz and Tyler (hope i pulled those names from memory correctly) and carrumed a rock off of tyler's forhead. Or later, when he woke Ivon from his dirt nap and carried his baddly decomposed (and quadrapalegic) corpse around on his back by a noose (gotta love when Ivon's sub-title reads "if i had legs i'd kick your ass!"). And you know what, i'm not sure why but i like that actor they got to play the head of the B.P.R.D., that guy typically makes me laugh and he has his moments in this film for sure. The action picked up, the story picked up... by the end of it i had totally changed my opinion. I mean it's not a great movie don't get me wrong, but definitely serviceable (especially as far as comic books made into movies go). I'd even watch it again.

Makes me even more anxious to get my hands on that 3rd HB trade (in the mail)...

One last thing though - i'm no perv (honest) but why didn't liz's clothes burn off when she went into super nova mode there toward the end? everything around her burned to a crisp but...



7 Comments:

01 July, 2005 22:56, Blogger Christopher Green said...

I saw Hellboy in the theatre, I have to say I really didn't think that much of it. I think the Thomas Jane Punisher film (which came out shortly after) was alot better.

 
01 July, 2005 22:58, Blogger zilla said...

i never saw the punisher movie... should i check that out? i'll put it on netflix. hellboy def wasn't that great but had a few moments.

 
01 July, 2005 23:11, Blogger Christopher Green said...

If you can get around some blatant changes (being set in Tampa, only having one child, ENTIRE family being murdered, etc.) to it, it's actually a pretty damn good movie. It's lightyears better than the Dolph Lundgren film, I also like the main theme to it, too.

 
01 July, 2005 23:15, Blogger zilla said...

how is the punisher comic these days?

 
01 July, 2005 23:27, Blogger Christopher Green said...

Pretty good, alot more violent and mature than I was expecting (even with the MAX label), but it's kind of a breath of fresh air for me to read a comic book with strong R-rated content.

 
01 July, 2005 23:29, Blogger zilla said...

hmmmm - sounds like i need to pick up an issue or 2. should i start w/ the latest floppy or grab a trade?

 
01 July, 2005 23:55, Blogger Christopher Green said...

Well I don't know actually, I started with the first part of the current arc (issue 19) and it's pretty good so far. Though I've heard alot of people rave about the "Mother Russia" arc, which is now in TPB format. I haven't read mother urssia but since I've heard alot of good things about it, I'd have to recomend that. Either that, or wait a few months for the "Up Is Down And Black Is White" trade.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel