Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Saturday, July 16, 2005



Resident Evil Outbreak: File #2

Platform: PS2
Publisher: Capcom
Genre: Survival Horror
Number of Players: Offline: 1, Online: 1-4
ESRB: M
Released: 04/26/05

I went though a big Resident Evil craze about four years ago, getting RE2, RE3, and Code Veronica on my Dreamcast at the time and playing them like mad. Eventually I bought a GameCube to play the remake of the original Resident Evil. Eventually I got rid of my GameCube and my interest in RE faded off, I became an Xbox gamer, and moved onto other things (KoTOR, for example). But late last year I bought a slimline PS2 for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and have kept it since. With the slimline PSTwo including the network adaptor built into it, I had become interested in getting a game that I could play online recently. I looked around for online games that caught my interest (and more importantly, were free to play), and then I came across Resident Evil Outbreak.

Ultimately, I went with the sequel, File #2, the game is roughly the seem as the original appearently, just with different scenarios and a few extra things added (such as being able to move with you shoot).

The game plays like just about every other Resident Evil game on planet (excluding Reseident Evil 4 and the Gun Survivor games), fixed camera angles, hold R1 and press X to shoot, hold circle to run, etc. But there have been some additions made, for instance, the tank-like character movement of old (up is always forward, left and right always turn you around, down is always step backwards) has been axed in favour of full 3D analogue control. You can now push the analogue stick in any direction and have your character move that way isntantly. No turning around, no ackward movements, and let me just say, it makes the game a hell of alot more enjoyable. The game features a similar inventory system of the old games, however in this game you only get a measly four inventory slots, which can be a real pain in the ass because it prevents you from really being able to stock up on alot of useful items (herbs, ammo, etc.).

This game can be played online or offline. How does this work in a Resident Evil title? Well the game is broken up into a handful of scenarios (which can each be completed in about a half hour) which feature various locations, such as a city zoo, a subway system, a hospital, yet another appearence of Racoon City's Police Departemnt, and an Umbrella laboratory. In adition, you can also unlock Showdown games (which let you fight a series of bosses in a row) and Elimination games (which have you killing around 30 enemies in a set time limit). Any of these can have up to four people playing online, and the game really is alot better online, as the difficulty of the game feels very much like it's designed for multiple players (I tend to die alot on the single player game). Communication is one of the down sides of the game, there's support for a USB keyboard in the online lobby, but once you enter a game, your sole form of communication is at the mercy of flicking the right analogue stick in a variety of directions to speak generic phrases (Go!, Help me!, Yes, No, Sorry, Thanks, etc.). It's very clunky, but eventually you get used to it, to a certain extent (though last night I had someone telling me continuosly to "Come here!" then "Go!" when I got there, I still have no idea what the hell they were trying to tell me).

The graphics in the game are a real highlight, gome are the prerendered backgrounds of old, this game is in full 3D, and it really pushes the PS2 to it's limits. The enviroments look amazingly eerie, and the characters all have realistic features and movements (though some of them look unusually similar to actors). The soundtrack is nothing special, it works, but it's nothing you'd want to download and listen to later on. The game also features a ton of unlockables, which are purchased from result points you earn from playing the game. To be honest, most of these are throw-aways. You can buy things like costumes, movies (which you have to see in-game before you can unlock them anyway), CG-art, music, extra game modes (which can be gotten for free by playing and beaten them in an online game anyway, so there's no need to purchase these), and other unimportant things. So far I've maanged to earn about 90,000 points and I think I've only actually spent about 15,000, so there's really not alot to it from that perspective.

Overall, if you have a broadband connection and like Resident Evil, this game is worth your time. The price tag is especially nice too. But if you aren't able to play online I'd avoid this game, as the single player mode is really unbalanced with one person.

Score:
Gameplay: 7.5
Graphics: 8.5
Audio: 6.0
Value: 7.8
Overall: 7.9/10



4 Comments:

16 July, 2005 12:48, Blogger zilla said...

damn you missed out on resident evil 4 for the GC. that's seriously one of the best video games ever made (ever).

 
16 July, 2005 12:57, Blogger Christopher Green said...

Well it is being ported to PS2 in a few months.

 
16 July, 2005 15:33, Blogger zilla said...

no s? JUMP on that. that game rocks.

 
16 July, 2005 18:41, Anonymous Flemmy said...

I haven't bought a PS2 game in ages. I think it's about time I did. Nice review. I'll be checking it out.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel