Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Friday, July 01, 2005



Welcome Our Newest Contributer - Mr. Uncensored

We have a new contributer here at Zilla's, a guy known simply as "Uncensored". I'm pumped to have him around - blog's are always a lot more interesting w/ multiple contributers (w/ multiple perspectives) IMO, and Mr. Uncensored should certainly provide that (would you expect less considering his handle?). Uncensored is more than just a random guy though, he's coming off of a comic reading hiatus (much like i am) and has written his first post as a bit of an introduction... Check it out:

I'll never forget the day I bought my first comic book, it was September 13, 1997. I was 12 years old, and that comic book was Peter Parker: Spider-Man #83. I was at a grocery store with my mother, feeling unsure of what to do with my free time now, since my mother had made me get rid of all of my action figures. But I noticed this comic book, bought it, read it, loved it. I must have carried it with me everywhere for a couple weeks, and even to this day I could still tell you just about everything that happend to it.

Immediately I began shopping at the two comic book stores in my city, and over the course of the next four years I read everything from PPSM, to Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Wildcats, Fathom, Witchblade, The Darkness, Tomb Raider, Dark Minds, Warlands, Green Lantern, and so many more titles that I can't even remember anymore. I had a love for comics, more than anything else.

But then in mid 2001, I was taking alot of flak from my "friends" over reading comics, I was being called a geek, a fag, a loser, etc. because of it. So, to put an end to this, I dropped comic books, and sold about 95% of my collection (which had gotten to around 500 due to back issue sales). I now realize that this was the biggest mistake of my life.

I never lost the love for comics, though I buried it. When comic book films came out, I still went to see them in theatres, and I was always the only one who ever noticed little references in films like X2, which my friends were cluless to.

I tried buying a few comics in early 2004 (a Matrix TPB, a couple issues of Witchblade, The Darkness), but the comics I chose to try picking up again weren't any good, and my intetrest in comics wasn't rejuvinated. I began reading about a title called Marvel Knights Spider-Man, which interested me because it was getting alot of positive buzz. I intended on picking up the first issue, but I was occupied so much I forgot, and never ended up buying it.

Then in around february of this year, I'm not sure what it was, but looking at my issue of Peter Parker: Spider-Man #83, which I kept for sentimental reasons, something just clicked with me again. I decided that it was time to read comics again, and a month later, I made a trip to the comics store. After about a half hour of deciding I bought Marvel Knights Spider-Man #10 and 11, Ultimate Iron Man #1, and at the recomendation of the guy who runs the comic store, Marvel Must Haves: New Avengers #1-3.

Of those four comics I read, I enjoyed every single one of them. So much that I decided to set myself on a probationary period, that if I could last four months reading comics I would consider myself a comic book reader again. The following month I went a comic spending-spree (for me, anyway) at spending $100 on comics. This helped me somewhat settle on what titles I would read regularly, as I basically bought whatever looked mildly interesting to me.

Well here I am, on my fourth month, having no regrets, a subscription at the comics store, and already planning what I'll be reading all the way into October. My love for comics is back in full force, and it's stronger than ever. At this point, I don't see myself ever stopping again.

Currently reading:
New Avengers, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Hellblazer, House of M, Ultimate Iron Man, Majestic, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, The Punisher, Spider-Man: House of M



4 Comments:

01 July, 2005 18:51, Blogger getpoor@getpoor.com said...

Hey, I was just cruising Blogs and wanted to let you know I like your little Blog. Keep up the great work!

-Steve@getpoor.com

www.getpoor.com

 
01 July, 2005 19:04, Blogger zilla said...

thanks steve. i've only been in business a couple of weeks but having a great time w/ it. hopefully someone out there enjoys reading it half as much as i do writing it ;)

 
01 July, 2005 22:43, Blogger Christopher Green said...

I'll help any way I can.

 
03 July, 2005 17:51, Anonymous Kurt said...

Welcome back Uncensored. I'll try not to feel old in the knowledge that you were 12 in 1997. It's nice to have all these variations on a basically similar experience (reading comics after a layoff).

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel