Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Saturday, November 26, 2005



Comics purchased in the week of November 23 - Uncensored

Wow, I'm really becoming surprised at how few Marvel books I'm buying these days, maybe half the comics I read now are from Marvel. I guess I'm progressing...

Battle Pope Colour #4:
Written by: Robert Kirkman
Pencilled by: Tony Moore
Well it's the end of the reprints of the first BP mini, so the story is wrapped up here. I still like this book, Jean-Paul's attitude towards everything is highly relatable, and the hippy Jesus H. Christ will never cease being funny.
*** out of *****

Daredevil #79:
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Pencilled by: Alex Maleev
Another fantastic issue from the creative titans known as Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev. "The Murdock Papers" story is progressing nicely, and in this issue we see Matt and Elektra battling it out with Bullseye, who is also after the Kingpin's infamous "Murdock Papers". The issue also ends with a nice twist and we see just how in control of everything the Kingpin still is. Anyone who doesn't read this book is missing out on alot of greatness.
**** out of *****

Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty #1:
Written by: Alex Garner
Artwork by: Ashley Wood
Anyone who knows me, knows that I've been fanatic about the Metal Gear franchise since 1999. I didn't bother with the first MGS comic book as it began before I returned to comics. However, Sons of Liberty just coming out, not to mention the fact that the game is my favourite in the series, I thought what the hell, I'll pick it up. It's not bad, certainly nothing like I expected. There's alot of creative liberties taken with the story (basically, the plot of the game is still intact, however the rest seems to have been reimagined), and Raiden doesn't come off as much of a pantywaist in the comic (in fact, he comes off more as the angry, abusive boyfriend type). The artwork is done in a style similar to the artwork in the MGS instruction booklets, which makes sense. It's a sketch-type style, which normally works out well (Alex Maleev does it flawlessly), however, it seems like Ashley Wood went overboard on the sketch look, to the fact that at times it's hard to make out what's on the page, everything is so obscure and lacks any amount of definition. I'll see where the book goes before I judge it completely.
**1/2 out of *****

She-Hulk II #2:
Written by: Dan Slott
Pencilled by: Juan Bobillo
Cover by: Greg Horn
Loved issue one, love issue two. I'd never heard of either creator before reading this title, but I already rank them high on the list of "awesomeness". This series is damn hillarious. Basically, She Hulk is a lawyer, who returned to her rebuilt firm last issue, only to be given a case about a man accused of murdering someone in cold blood. Turns out the man he killed was sent from the future to kill him, thus making it self-defense. To avoid any bias among the juriors, they were brought in from the past. And guess who one of them happens to be? Hawkeye. The issue sees Jen (She-Hulk) trying to, in court, get a message to Hawkeye that he will die. She goes about this by using sign-language which is, I must say, one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a comic book. The artwork is cute and cartoony yet serious at the same time. This is definately one of Marvel's best titles.
**** out of *****

Spawn #150:
Written by: David Hine/Brian Holguin/Todd McFarlane
Pencilled by: Angel Medina/Philip Tan
Cover by: Jim Lee
I've never been nuts about Spawn, in fact prior to this, the only Spawn comic I had was Spawn #9 (first appearence of Angela, written by Neil Gaiman). I liked the HBO series and all, but the comic just never struck me. I picked this up while browsing the rack at the local comic shop killing. The only reason I actually bought it was because I remembered reading all the hype about how this issue would bring new life to the character. This issue did absolutely nothing for me. Spawn is confused about his existence and bitching about Wanda (which, I've heard, is all he's ever done for the past 13 years). He suddenly decides to go to some region controlled by Heaven, in which he has no powers and is destroyed easily. His entrails are retreived by Hell and his Heart by some... guy, who turns it into a child, or something, and tells it to go home to it's mother (who is suicidal appearently). What I find myself wondering is, why did it take Heaven this long to obliterate Spawn? Why is Spawn (a black man)'s heart transformed into a white child? If this child is Spawn's heart, why does it have a suicidal mother? I didn't understand a god damn thing about this issue. Maybe it's just because I don't know alot about the character, but I have a feeling it has more to do with the incoherent storylines that the old comics from Image are (in)famous for.
*1/2 out of *****

The Walking Dead vol. 1: Days Gone Bye:
Written by: Robert Kirkman
Pencilled by: Tony Moore
I read the first issue of TWD that zilla sent me a while ago. Liked it, but forgot about it. Recently I heard one of my favourite Canadian shows (Corner Gas) featured an issue of TWD in it, though it didn't interest me enough to buy the book. Last night though I was killing time waiting for something, so since I was in the area I went to the local comic shop and looked around. Couldn't find anything I wanted to buy, so I decided to ask an employee there (a teenage chick, who used to annoy the hell out of me, but after realizing that she's there for the anime crowd, and that she has a VERY NICE ASS and has dyed her hair red recently, I don't dislike her anymore) for a recomendation. She pointed out The Walking Dead vol. 1: Days Gone Bye. I looked at the price tag (12.95, not bad for a graphic novel, certainly cheaper than what Marvel would charge for a book collecting six issues), and decided what the hell, so I bought it. I thought it was so great I read it all in one sitting. The artwork is certainly alot better than Tony's work on Battle Pope, it's not great by any means but it has a certain charm to it. The characters in the book are very well written, and likeable. I like the underlying message the book seems to have: that the simple things in life are really, all we need.
****1/2 out of *****

Witchblade #92:
Written by: Ron Marz
Pencilled by: Too many god damn people! (Mike Choi, Darwyn Cooke, Eric Basdula, Keu Cha, Luke Ross, Francis Manapul, Rodolfo Migliari, Brandon Peterson, Bart Sears, Terry Dodson, Chris Bachalo, George Perez, Joseph Michael Linsner, Mac Silvestri)
Cover by: Jay Anacleto/Steve Firchow
I used to read Witchblade just after Michael Turner's run ended (from issues #26-38, I missed the boat on it), so having a casual familiarity with the character the idea of an anniversary issue revealling the origin of the Witchblade intrigued me so much that I spent $6 on this thing. Sara (Pezini) starts the issue off by demanding to know from some old Asian man where the Witchblade came from. After some pressing he finally agrees to tell her. All this does though, is trigger a series of two page shots by different artists showing different women who've been in possession of the Witchblade throughout history. Eventually Sara disappears into some kind of void where she's greeted by Dawn (!?!?! When the hell did she become a Top Cow character!?) who tells her that the Witchblade was created to be some sort of balance between the light and dark powers of the universe, that it's male, and that she (Dawn) acts as a midwife. OKAY, so I didn't get any of it. Again, maybe because I'm out of the loop with the character, but after asking some other people, I'm beliving that it's just more incoherent story telling from Image, as per usual. I must say though, Mike Choi's artwork is absolutely beautiful, too bad he only does a few pages in the book.
*** out of ***** (this rating is based almost entirely on the artwork)



1 Comments:

01 December, 2005 00:09, Blogger Mr How said...

I agree with your take on Spawn. Personally i have been a fan, starting from issue 20 and stopped at issue 100. Greg Capullo's art were superb and the storyline were exciting. After that i think everything went downhill.

I bought issue 150 because i dig Greg Capullo's digital painting, but was subsequently dissapointed at the poor interior art. A new villian was introduced but that did not seemed exciting either.

If you are interested, get issues 50 and 100 - great art and story.

And since christmas is coming up, get issue 39, featuring a stand alone christmas story.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel