Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Thursday, November 10, 2005



Ghost Rider #3

I sometimes feel like i'm the only one, but i'm continuing to really, really enjoy this mini (can't wait to read this in one-shot as a trade). I've read next to zero Ghost Rider comics before this so i don't have any preconcieved notions (and maybe that helps). The story is more than passable, and the art is spectacular.

In #3, our man JB contiues to hunt for the demon Kazaan (in order to permenantly secure his release), but he's no longer alone in the hunt - a rep from Heaven and a rep from Hell are also hot on Kazaan's heels (and therefore Ghost Rider's).

Both of these characters are worth the price of admission - one's a tubby, stetson-wearing, country music loving, head-up-his-ass-sidekick-having demon w/ a southern drawl (he's from the deep south get it?) named Hoss. The other is a mysterious ass-kicking female from Heaven (Ruth).

Hoss and JB know each other from back in the day (time spent in Hell), and both know (or at least know of) Ruth - seems her ass-whupping ability is world renowned. There's a wild battle between the three of them along a deserted country highway that displays some of their unusual combat "abilities". Cool.

At the end of the day there's not a whole lot of depth to Ennis's actual story here - but in some ways that's what i like about it. The art on the other hand is way, way deep (and detailed). This guy Crain has got some serious talent.

Hoss's sidekick cracks me up to no end (so does Hoss really). JB should be written a bit more the quiet hard-ass IMO but no real worries there...A.

It was all over when...

Filed in:



1 Comments:

11 November, 2005 06:05, Blogger Christopher Green said...

Hey zilla, sorry I haven't been around, things have been hectic. Although if you still want someone to contribute I can help out once again.

Email me.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel