Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Friday, November 04, 2005



Jonah Hex #1

I really, really, really want this to be good. The first issue is a bit underwhelming to be honest - but there's enough here to give me hope for the future of the title at least. Hex looks exactly like Clint Eastwood (which is a good thing IMO) w/ half his face burned in some grizzly accident. Gets me wondering - anyone know how Hex's face got so jacked up? I haven't read any Hex comics since i was a kid and i've forgotten just about everything i know about him.

Anyways, this first issue has Jonah hunting down the missing son of a wealthy landowner promising a 3k bounty (hey that was a suitcase full of loot back in the day!). Turns out the boy has been kidnapped by a travelling carnavel w/ an especially gruesome kids vs. half-starved attack dogs main event.

Pretty corny if you ask me but this arc began and ended in this one issue so its easy to put behind us. There is (at least) an unexpectedly unhappy, semi-bittersweet ending that helps add some dimension to the Hex character (which is much of what we can hope for in a #1). C.



3 Comments:

04 November, 2005 12:15, Blogger Mark Fossen said...

We're completely split on the western stuff, Zilla. Loveless didn't work for me, but Hex was pretty perfect.

 
04 November, 2005 12:27, Blogger zilla said...

i'm def not giving up on it my friend. i have some high hopes for this - i'd love to have 2 westerns to get down w/ every month ;)

 
04 November, 2005 17:07, Blogger Ryan X said...

Zilla, unrelated comment here, but I think you are going to dig the western themes and imagery in the Dark Tower. Obviously it is not a wester per se, but hey, the first book is The Gunslinger, need I say more? Seriously, the comic book of the Dark Tower could be friggin amazing now that I sit here and think about Roland's world...okay enough out of the peanut gallery.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel