Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Saturday, December 10, 2005



Jonah Hex #2

Let me start by saying Jonah Hex #2 was WAY better than #1 IMO.

The story in #2 is quite a bit more appealing and "classic western" even though it seemed kind of disjointed at times. Disjointed how? I couldn't help but feel that there were panels missing (or even entire pages sometimes) as i read it. It's a bit hard to explain exactly, but the overall flow of the story just seemed a bit stutter-stepped.

I'm pretty sure the problem Palmiotti is having here is trying to fit entire story arcs into a single issues (seems like this may be the ongoing method for Jonah Hex). The story in this one (for example) probably could have stretched into 3 issues w/o feeling too padded. Please note that i am NOT arguing for the long, rambling story arcs modern comics readers have grown to abhor (i'm actually whole-heartedly AGAINST those), but there is DEFINITELY a fine line every writer needs to be cognizant of. Cramming a story into too few pages can be as ugly as stretching it across too many. Readers are forced to make too many plot connections using imagination rather than art (and we miss out on some cool dialogue, story line details, panels, and images along the way).

Enough ranting though - i've digested 2 issues of Hex and 2 of Loveless and for me personally there's no contest so far - its Loveless for Zill (even though Loveless #2 had it's problems as well, hopefully i'll get around to dropping my thoughts on that one here soon). Loveless is a bit more "adult" feeling to me, with a grittier overall tone that i find appealing, and some more polished writing (and art for that matter).

There are far too few western comics though so i'll be sticking by both (for now). C+.

Filed in:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel