Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Saturday, December 10, 2005



A Mixed Bag...

Ok - quick reviews of a few totally unrelated titles that i happened to read back-to-back-to-back last night while enjoying a couple cold Coors Lights (rocky mountain cold my friends!).

Sentry #3 - Anyone who frequents Zilla's knows that i'm really digging on this mini (and i guess it constitutes yet another mainstream superhero mag i'm into after claiming just days ago i was hardly reading/enjoying any ;)

And just what is it that makes Sentry so enjoyable for me? Well, first off, the character is actually INTERESTING! Ever since i was a kid i've been readily fascinated w/ the tortured (and often ignominious) "internal struggle" - guess that's why i've always loved the Hulk.

And you know what? Professing my love for the big green is a great segway into my next point about Sentry #3 - what's a Marvel mini w/o an Incredible Hulk cameo? He's here in #3 (even though he's not written as well as i would like), and evidently has some sort of id-level fascination with Sentry. The two of them head into the n-zone (or n-dimension i can't remember) in search of answers to Sentry's past and run into his schizo-generated other half - the "void". Cool. B+.

Marvel Team-Up #15 - I'm kind of a Kirkman junkie (as we know) and i'm fast becoming a Medina junkie, even though i've never seen his work outside of this title. The guy has a bit of a cartoonish style but i dig it (well) for some reason. These Marvel Team-Ups are just... fun. This new arc has promise. B+.

Thor Blood Oath #5 (of 6) - Damnit Oeming! You're going to get me coming and going with this since i'll 100% be buying the TP once it's out (after having bought all the flops). I swear the greatest money making vehicle comic shops every dreamt up was the damn trade paperback. Ah but i digress - Thor Blood Oath is expertly written and expertly drawn. This issue picks up big time (for me) after a somewhat lackluster #4. B+.

Punisher #28 - The last panel in this issue will turn your stomach inside out (ouch). I just started Punisher w/ this story arc and i'm not sure i jumped in at the best time... I got to admit i'm kind of anxious to get onto the next one. C+.

Filed in:



1 Comments:

11 December, 2005 20:36, Blogger Christopher Green said...

I've been reading Punisher since #19 (MAX series), I haven't picked up the latest issue yet, but Punisher, as long as Ennis is on it, will always be on my pull list.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel