Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Thursday, December 22, 2005



Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #1

I anticipated this title so damn much i was bound to be disappointed right? Not so my friends, not so.

The story (written by Damon Lindelof of TV's Lost fame) isn't great, but it's certainly good enough (so far) to keep me interested. It's simple, paced, and well ordered w/ mixed scenes in the present and past (here's where you start to feel the connection with Lost.

Events in this first issue pick up here where they left off in Ultimates 2. The Hulk (believed dead after Banner was ordered executed following a Hulk rampage in NY) is not dead after all (surprise!) but alive and well hiding in the mountains in Tibet. Lindelof offers up a bit of a vaporous (and somewhat unblievable) explanation as to how Nick Fury realizes that Banner survived his nuclear exectution, and follows it up with some pretty stale (and equally unbeleivable) dialogue as Fury recruits Wolverine to hunt Banner down and kill him.

No matter though - once we're passed that we start getting into the real meat of the story - the hunt leading to the battle we're all buying this book to see (and the moment in time captured by one of the most incredible 2-page panels ever seen; used to market this mini to death and depicted below).

Yu's art is kick ass (that's really the only way to describe it). His work on Silent Dragon hooked me, and he won't disappoint any of his fans here. I flipped through this a couple extra times after i read it just to look at the purty pictures in closer detail (and there's some good detail in this guy's work as we know)... B+.

It was all over when...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel