Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Wednesday, December 21, 2005



X-Factor #1

Peter David is back in my good graces.

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when i picked up X-Factor #1 (the reboot) but i can tell you one thing: In the end i was damn-well surprised. PAD has taken a slummy cast of nobodies and turned them into something surprisingly interesting. To be honest, this is one of the best PAD-written issues i've read in a long, long time (no offense big guy).

So what goes down in #1? Our opening story deals primarily w/ Rictor's insecurities after losing his powers (HoM), and Madrox's attempts to talk him off the ledge (literally). There's some high-level introductions of some of the other characters, and a brilliant surprise ending slash cliff-hanger that put icing on the proverbial goodness cake and got me flipping back to the first page to run through this one a second time before tossing it in the "read" pile.

At the end of the day i'm impressed. Seems like i've been on a bit of a superhero roll ever since i proclaimed my distaste for mainstream superhero comics a few weeks ago... Whatever. I'll take it ;) Could be the reason i'm diggin on X-Factor so far is because the cast ISN'T mainstream though... maybe i'm on to something here...

Anyways - PAD is at the top of his game (so far) in X-Factor and Sook's art (who is this guy?) is right up my alley... kind of reminds me of the old Bendis Alias comics for some reason. I really (really) liked this #1. A.

It was all over when...



2 Comments:

22 December, 2005 09:49, Anonymous Dave Carter said...

Who is Ryan Sook? He totally rules! He did the art on the recently completed Seven Soldiers: Zatanna; did a year+ on The Spectre a couple of years back; did a couple of Spike & Dru comics; some BPRD; and some Hawkman last year.

 
22 December, 2005 09:54, Blogger zilla said...

hey! remember i'm only back into comics for 8 mos or so now ;) thanks for the website though - i just spent a few checking it out... i really dig this guys work for sure. you know off the top of your head which BPRD arc(s) he did?

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel