Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Friday, January 06, 2006



Buzzscope's "Best of 2005"

I'm a huge woman for "Best of..." comics lists. Buzzscope's Best of 2005 is pretty solid w/ all the categories you would expect (Best Ongoing Series, Best Mini Series, Best New Series, etc.) but i've got some adds:

BEST ONGOING SERIES

You have to put Losers, The Goon, The Walking Dead, Invincible, and Powers in here don't you? Conan should be on everyone's list as well as Ex Machina and Ultimates 2.

BEST MINI SERIES

Surrogates is a great pull here, but i'd be remiss in leaving out Silent Dragon and/or Ferro City. Oh yeah and i LOVED Powell's Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and half-loved Samurai Heaven and Earth, and we're in the middle of Ghost Rider and Sentry which are keeping my interest.

Last but not least (and underrrated too) is that Monster 2-issue (what was it called?) mini.

BEST ONE-SHOT/ONE-ISSUE

I created my own category (see how i roll?) since i had to find somewhere to give credit to Wolverine #32 (the Nazi concentration camp one) and Powell's excellently entertaining Devil Dinosaur issue of Marvel's Monster run.

BEST ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVELS/TPs

i just realized i don't read NEAR enough of these... but Street Angel would be my #1.

BEST NEW SERIES

Desolation Jones is a must here. Throw in Godland, Winter Men, and Fear Agent for me (w/ high marks for Fell).

BEST B-LIST SERIES

What does this mean exactly?

BEST INDEPENDENT SERIES

Desolation Jones (is this technically an indie?) gets a second honor here. For the first 2 issues i was all over Samurai Cowboy but my love for that title faded w/ issues 3 and 4. I know there are some other independents i loved this year but i'm drawing a huge blank... too much sun in St. Croix.

MOST UNDERRATED

I guess i pretty much figure anything i added to these lists is underrated (by Buzzscope at least). Powers is certainly loved but i still think underrated, and Surrogates has never seemed to get the props it deserves.


-----
Do me a favor and comment in your opinions on this so we can get a nice list going...
-----



3 Comments:

06 January, 2006 16:33, Blogger Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

The double-edged sword of democracy! Though I have to say these picks are a lot better than our Buzzworthy picks at mid-year were. That list was way too narrow and mainstream for my tastes.

BEST ONGOING SERIES

The Losers was on my personal list, but didn't make the final cut. And I just realized I left it out of the Honorable Mentions. :-(

BEST B-LIST SERIES

I defined it as any mid-list title from Marvel or DC. YA stretches the definition, considering how much hype they've put behind it, but compared to, say, New Avengers' sales, it's not that big a stretch. New Thunderbolts would've been my pick if we'd gone with more than two, but I ended up selecting it for underrated honors.

BEST INDEPENDENT SERIES

This is always tricky, but I consider Vertigo, et al, to qualify as indies. Many would disagree, but to them I say, make your own damn list! ;-)

 
07 January, 2006 04:18, Blogger Christopher Green said...

You see? I'm not the only one who loves Daredevil.

 
07 January, 2006 06:03, Blogger Christopher Green said...

P.S. I read a Powers trade at the library a while ago (I think it was called Anarchy), and honestly, I didn't really like it that much.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel