Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Saturday, January 28, 2006



Ellis' Black Gas #1

To be honest i'd never even heard of this title until i found it sitting in my box at the LCS last week. My pals there figured that since i was such a TWD fan (and a sometimes Warren Ellis fan), i'd surely love Black Gas. And you know what? It's not half bad. Hell, it's actually pretty damn good.

Black Gas takes place somewhere along the northeastern coast of the U.S., where a mysterious mountain/volcano has laid dormant for ages (more on that later). The story centers (at least initially) around a guy named Tyler who's brought his new girlfriend (Soo) home from college to romantic vaca a little in his parent's cabin in the woods.

After a quick stop in to meet his parents, Tyler and Soo head off on the 2-hour walk to their cabin (encountering some pretty wild mountain-men style characters along the way) at the base of a mysterious mountain called "the hump". Sometime during their first night in the cabin, the "hump" erupts - spewing some mysterious black gas that evidently turns people into Zombies. Wild.

Ok, ok - if you're not a Zombie movie/book/comic fan then maybe this all seems a little bit out there (or even corny) - but to us fans of the genre this storyline is right up our alley. Ellis does a great job setting the tone and mood in this first issue, and there's just something about the story and characters that's pulled me in (not to mention there's the promise of some serious Zombie action starting in the next issue).

Max Fiumara's artwork is nothing to sneeze at either (and perfect for this book IMO).

Walking Dead fans will most certainly enjoy this (reminds me in some very obscure way of Elk's Run too, though i'm not sure why).B+.

It was all over when...



2 Comments:

28 January, 2006 17:31, Anonymous CellarDoor said...

Picked this one up today on my biweekly trip to the LCS. I was pretty much expecting a straight forward horror story here and that seems to be where Ellis is going with it. While the characters and their interactions were nowhere near as complex as say The Walking Dead, neither is it poorly written.
Unfortunately, I had to let my LCS owner know that I'm moving in a couple of months so aside from anything he had already ordered for me I'm done buying new comics at least until we get settled in to our new house. So basically, I won't get to find out how Black Gas ends until about June.

 
28 January, 2006 20:13, Blogger zilla said...

cellardoor - good luck w/ the move partner. i'll let you know how black gas ends... i don't read much horror (besides TWD and Hellboy) so i guess i'm immune to the "same old" since i'm not sure what that is (and black gas may very be that). we shall see my friend...

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel