Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Monday, January 09, 2006



Exterminators #1

Tony Moore. That is pretty much all that needs to be said here, but I'll say a little more anyway.

I had no idea what to expect when I picked this up today, but it got me fired up enough to write a quick review on here (something I have been seriously lazy about for months now). This is a very dark, twisted tale about a group of...you guessed it, bug exterminators. But to label this a "Bug" comic, would be as big of a mistake as labelling The Walking Dead just another "Zombie comic". The imagery is darkly disturbing with a sort of Men in Black-type humor underlying many of the scenes. The artwork is signature Tony Moore and many times I felt like I was reading TWD in color (which is a good thing IMO).

The story begins with the narration of the extermination company's newest hire and the rest of the issue follows him during his first day on the job as a bug exterminator. As with many first issues, we are quickly introduced to the start of various plots and subplots. We are also introduced to a cast of characters ranging from a psychotic bug assassin to the Zen master of bug extermination. The potential stories and themes that this first issue make possible is what has me so excited about this series. I hope everyone can get a copy and let me know what you think.

5 out of 5 stars.



3 Comments:

09 January, 2006 18:03, Blogger zilla said...

thanks for the thoughts mr. x. i was looking for a reason to pick this up (any reason really) and now i have it ;) i had it in my hands last week at the LCS but didn't end up buying for no real reason... guess i wasn't sure how i felt about bugs.

quick q: is there anything special about the bugs in this? are they alien? sentient? suped-up? taking over the world?

 
09 January, 2006 18:04, Blogger zilla said...

ps you sold me on the whole "zen master of bug extermination" thing ;) my aunt is an exterminator out in seattle i'm sure she'd get a kick out of that.

 
10 January, 2006 12:47, Blogger Ryan X said...

No super bugs in the first issue, but the way they are drawn, they are scary for sure. Especially the rat! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this, I really enjoyed it.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel