Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Friday, January 13, 2006



Mini Reviews...

Ghost Rider #5 - One of the best mini's of the year for me comes to bat w/ it's best issue yet. Both the story (esp the characters) and the art are fantabulous (so cool i had to make up a word to describe them). I absolutely cannot wait for this TP to come out (its a must buy for me) and can only hope Ennis and Crain have some desire to turn this bad boy into an ongoing...

Team Zero #2 - #2 is entirely dedicated to meeting the individual members of Team Zero. There are some cool cats in here but nothing really original (we've got our demolitions expert, our hand-to-hand expert, our sniper, our strategist, etc.). It's an even split for me so far with this series (#1 was good, #2 not so much) so i'll be looking for a tie-breaker in #3. I really, really want this to be good.

Desolation Jones #5 - D Jones is a friggin' GREAT comic. I mean GREAT. So good it makes me realize how many BAD comics i read :) I love this book. I think i'll put together a better than mini review of this issue (soon) instead of dumping my thoughts here...

Ultimate X-Men #66 - Ugh. This is NOT what i needed to rejuvinate me about superhero comics. Ultimate X-Men is one of the few mainstream books i still follow but this issue was miserable. Talk about passing the time w/ an entire issue - sheesh. i mean i've got no problem with the "personal" side of my comic book heroes, but an entire issue of going to the movies and out to dinner dates kind of grated on me...

X-Men 198 #1 - Couldn't finish it. Seemed to me to be more of the same 'ole, same 'ole through the first half. Worst $3 i spent this week by far. Anyone have another opinion?



3 Comments:

13 January, 2006 21:02, Blogger Christopher Green said...

I didn't pick up Ghost Rider today, only had a limited amount of money to spend. But I'll be reviewing it at some point this month.

 
16 January, 2006 13:03, Blogger zilla said...

i REALLY liked this issue of Ghost Rider... I seriously can not wait for the trade (i'm looking forward to reading this entire mini in one or two sittings)... i hope GR flips to an ongoing (w/ the same creative team)...

 
16 January, 2006 14:13, Blogger Ryan X said...

Dude,
Stop trying to like superhero comics! Ha ha. No, seriously, I read your comments and I know our thoughts are somewhat similar on what is good and what is not. I think the superhero comics out right now are running out of steam because many of these characters have been around for decades! It would be like watching new Friends episodes (not that I am a fan) 20 years from now and wondering why they haven't freshened up the storyline... You can only repackage stuff so many times before it gets stale. Just my opinion for sure, as I realize there are a lot of superhero junkies out there that would never touch a Des Jones or DMZ etc. Just my thoughts on the subject. Keep the reviews on the likes of X-men, Spidey, etc. coming though, you have saved me a lot of $$$$:).

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel