Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Wednesday, February 15, 2006



New Avengers #16

Daaaaaaaamn. Great issue. And to think NA was teetering on the edge of falling off my pull list just a few issues ago...

An unknown blast of energy (from space somewhere) rockets to earth and incinerates the small Alaskan town of North Pole, delivering a mysterious bipedal payload. Earth's new resident (the Collective?) shakes off the dust from its landing and subsequently begins a rampage through Canada (on his way to the U.S. somewhere), easily destroying various S.H.I.E.L.D (man that acronym is a bitch to type) interceptors and effortlessly annihilating Canada's one-and-only super team - Alpha Flight. Time to call in the Avengers (though they make nary an appearance in this issue).

An entire issue w/o the Avengers (except a brief Tony Stark appearance)? Must suck right? Na. McNiven is at the top of his game here - i seriously cannot remember a time i was this impressed with his work. His panels/layouts are fantastic in this issue (the artwork flows/reads REALLY well IMO). Not that the guy isn't normally a beast, but he's really outdone himself this time me thinks. I especially liked his modernized depiction of the uber-boring Alpha Flight (even though they last all of 2 panels), and the surprising start to the issue, which includes about 5 full page panels (one of which is very cool and will get a day panel spot from me).

McNiven's not all that shines in NA #16 though, even Bendis seems to have come to play at the start of this new arc. I'm actually EXCITED about NA again for the first time in months... A

It was all over when...



5 Comments:

16 February, 2006 02:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you read this? It's not supposed to be released until next week!

 
16 February, 2006 07:47, Blogger zilla said...

Nah friend - it came out this week and in my opinion if you're a fan of the series you need to track it down asap ;)

good luck.

 
16 February, 2006 20:29, Blogger Christopher Green said...

The "unknown blast of energy" is the mutant powers that collected in space at the end of House of M.

Or, at least that's what I've been lead to believe; I haven't read the NA#16 yet, it's basically my "make or break" issue.

 
16 February, 2006 20:46, Blogger zilla said...

if #16 is your make or break (i've been on that ledge w/ NA lately too) i think you're in luck.

 
16 February, 2006 20:47, Blogger zilla said...

ps thanks for the insight - considering what i have seen (in #16) i think you're right.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel