Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Saturday, February 04, 2006



Nextwave #1

Elsa: So what made you want to be a super hero? Was it the clothes?

Captain: The mask, I guess.

Elsa: Why?

Captain: So i could hit people in the face really hard and run away and no one would know it was me.

Elsa: What was your super hero name?

Captain: Captain !@#%^?

Elsa:
You're kidding me.

Captain: Nope, I was Captain !@#%^?

Elsa: Why, for God's sake?

Captain: Hey, I'm from Brooklyn, I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly? Hell, no, Captain !@#%^?. I met Captain America once, He asked me what my name was.

Elsa: And you said Captain !@#%^?

Captain: Man, he beat seven shades of it out of me. Left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth.

I'm way late to the party reviewing Ellis' Nextwave but i couldn't resist at least posting to recommend it. Nextwave is a bit hard to describe, but i can tell you it's got a solid cast (including Captain Marvel of Avengers fame, a butt-kicking female from a line of "near-immortal monster hunters", a nick-fury esque hard-ass, and a cynical cyborg).

The first issue is pretty much jam packed w/ action and laughs - though i wouldn't say Nextwave is easily wholely classified as hanging its hat on either.

Our interesting band of heroes (together forming the crack anti-terrorism squad Nextwave) are rogue agents of a parent anti-terrorist organization called H.A.T.E. (Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort). The Nextwave crew discovered that their employer has been accepting funding from the Beyond Corporation, which sits as a front for terrorists attempting to product-test "unusual" weapons of mass destruction on the public.

"Meh" right? well i've yet to mention that the first said WMD is of the biological variety: A towering purple dragon (Fing Fam Foom?) with purple drawers that all but erupts out of the earth to terrorize a nearby town. Wild.

I missed this on initial release but couldn't stop hearing about it so thought i'd give it a try... turns out Nextwave is intersting, funny, and a bit of a break from what we'd normally expect from Warren Ellis (to say the least). I'm actually pretty damn surprised that Marvel came out with this book. It's got that creater-owned indie feel that we rarely (if ever IMO) get from the big MU.

I have no idea whether or not this title is ongoing, but i hope so. The cast is solid (if not unique), and Immonen's art is right up my alley. At the end of the day it's a fun book w/ a lot of personality. A.

Check out this dialogue:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel