Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Sunday, February 12, 2006



Savage Dragon Vol. 1: Baptism of Fire

I've just recently been introduced to Eric Larsen and Savage Dragon (for shame i know) a few weeks ago. It gets SO much love around the comics community that i picked up the first trade in my last instocktrades.com order on hype alone. Glad i did.

There's a couple big plusses with Savage Dragon (for me) right off the bat: First of all, i love creator owned and operated books, and i'm always impressed when the same guy does the writing AND artwork (you just get a feeling you're getting everything as intended that way no?). Larsen obviously handles both chores w/ SD, and does a great job w/ each IMO. Second, i love "superhero" books set in different, less mainstream universes (like Planetary, Authority, Invincible, Powers, Battle Hymn, etc.) - Universes filled w/ characters ALL created by the mind of one or two dudes. Something very cool about that for me.

Larsen's SD story is bigger than life, action packed, and dosed w/ enough well-placed humor to have me chuckling (if not belly laughing) just often enough. I'm a huge sucker for amnesia stories for some reason, and SD's tale certainly fits the mold. I'm actually pretty anxious to get on w/ the second trade just to find out more about who he was before becoming the flatfooted "Mr. Dragon" (so don't tell me).

Larsen's artwork is much like his writing; big (often huge) and action packed w/ gernerous use of killer 2-page action spreads. Just about every hero, villian and side-character in here has a pro-wrestlers build - which would normally turn me off but for some reason works just fine in SD. The layouts def lend to the overall sense of action (i kind of felt like i was watching some huge budget action flick as i read this), and Larsen's put together a seriously wild cast of good and bad guys.

Savage Dragon is one of those comics i totally missed while i was gone (obviously there was no hint of it when i was a kid) though i'm def glad to be turned onto it now. My next challenge is finding out how many of these 100+ SD issues are really worth reading (there has to have been a let down or 2 TP in there somewhere). A lot bigger challenge than trying to catch up with something that's only got a few trades to read (like i did w/ Losers, 100 Bullets, Y the Last, etc.).

I'm on to #2 at least though... B+.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel