Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Saturday, March 18, 2006



HC/TP wish list dwindling all of a sudden...

Since i've been back into comics i have this routine where i buy floppies just about every wed, and once a month (sometimes twice) put in an order for TPs and/or HCs at Amazon or instocktrades.com.

Thing is, i've actually managed to whittle down my TP/HC wish list so far i'm running out of things to read... weak!

Anyone got any recommendations? links to "best ever" lists etc.?

FYI - here's my march order from Amazon (would usually prefer to use instocktrades since they are typically cheaper but some of this stuff couldn't be found there...). Also, i wanted to grab the Daredevil 3 HC (loved #2) but for some reason it's not available anywhere at the discount $20 price i paid for #2, and i'm not paying 30 beans for sure...).

1 "Sleeper Vol. 1: Out in the Cold"
Ed Brubaker; Paperback; $11.67 - I'm kind of on a Brubaker high lately so figured i check this out...

1 "Batman: Year One Deluxe Edition"
Frank Miller; Hardcover; $12.99 - Ditto for Batman love lately... read Hush and The Long Halloween last month and dug the hell out of both.

1 "Usagi Yojimbo, Book 3: The Wanderer's Road"
Stan Sakai; Paperback; $10.37 - I'm a huge UY fan and i've been putting off buying/re-reading these for no apparent reason. Back in the saddle starting this month. Def one of the best titles/runs of all time.

1 "The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes"
Neil Gaiman; Paperback; $12.99 - My WIFE actually recommended this to me (she used to manage a book store back in college).

1 "300"
Frank Miller; Hardcover; $19.80 - Had this on my wish list for about a year now... finally getting around to picking it up. Hopefully it's as good as people say.



9 Comments:

18 March, 2006 17:26, Anonymous CellarDoor said...

Have you read "Girls" by the Luna Brothers or "Sea of Red" by Rick Remender, both from Image, and both titles I enjoy. Only one TP out for each of them so far.

 
18 March, 2006 17:27, Anonymous Cellardoor said...

also, let me know what you think of Sandman, it's one I've been thinking about trying.

 
18 March, 2006 19:27, Anonymous CellarDoor said...

I'm on a roll here trying to think of stuff you might not have read...how about Sam Keith's "The Maxx", a bit on the esoteric side, but I LOVE his artwork

And "WE3" by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly, awesome...

 
19 March, 2006 17:27, Blogger zilla said...

thanks cellardoor... i've actually read WE3 and LOVED it. I'll have to investigate Maxx - i'm not sure i've even heard of that title before today...

PS i'll def let you know about Sandman, i'm just going to start w/ Vol. 1. Word seems to be well in favor of this title though so i'm planning for it to be good...

 
20 March, 2006 12:17, Blogger Ryan X said...

Sleeper is awesome, actually I am a little surprised you haven't read it yet. It will help to fill the Losers void you are currently experiencing. I am also wanting to get into Sandman. Another book that has piqued my interest is Alan Moore's run (1-6?)on Swamp Thing.

 
20 March, 2006 12:21, Blogger zilla said...

I'm almost done w/ the first Sandman trade and i'm REALLY digging it. Def wild. I'll write a review sometime this week for sure...

PS can't wait for sleepers now..

 
21 March, 2006 12:23, Blogger Pat said...

Sandman doesn't even get good until after the first volume - I belive during the beginning, it was supposed to still be set in the DC universe more solidly. the affiliation becomes more loose as time goes on (and it gets better and better!)

If you like Calvin and Hobbes, I'd highly recommend Amelia Rules - there are two or three TBPs out - many bigger libraries will have at least one - really good light reading. Funny too...

 
21 March, 2006 12:26, Blogger Pat said...

Oh, and one more thing - after you finish Sandman, read Lucifer - it's an excellent follow-up - not really related, but set in the same world. It's still ongoing, but there are seven or eight TBPs so far

 
21 March, 2006 20:40, Blogger zilla said...

Pat - check out my review of Sandman... i really enjoyed the first trade. Got a feeling i've got some good stuff to read for a while now that i'm in to that...

as for Amelia Rules, i'll def check that out... i love calvin and hobbes (my dad and i shared that as a favorite when i was growing up). someday i want to get me that hardbound collection. schweeeet.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel