Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Thursday, March 16, 2006



Hysteria: One Man Gang #1

Sean did a great job reviewing this new comic over at Quality Control (and i happen to agree w/ most of what he's said) so i won't get too deep into it here but wanted to post *something*:

First off, know that i'm a HUGE kung-fu geek and def find myself dissappointed w/ the lack of kung-fu/martial arts comics out there (zero in the mainstream). Mike Hawthorne's Hysteria: One Man Gang is short on words but long on action, and Sean is def right about one thing in his review - Hawthorne's panels and layouts have this nifty way of putting you right in the middle of it all, just like any good silver screen kung fu classic. I absolutely loved the part where he throws the little girl into the air then breaks off some martial arts whup-ass before catching her. Cool.

As w/ a lot of indie's, you don't walk away from this feeling like you got a full $3 worth (the story/dialogue is a bit sparce and the art simple and uncolored) but i DID have a great time with this and i WILL be buying #2 (anyone know if this is set as a mini or ongoing from Image?). The best i can ask of any comic is that feeling of wanting more... and Hysteria delivers on that front, especially if you're a fan of classic kung-fu (action, laughs, etc.). B+.



1 Comments:

16 March, 2006 14:50, Blogger Sean Maher said...

I believe it's a four-issue mini.

Glad you dug it... I agree it feels a bit thin for the price, but the back-up helped a bit, I thought.

(Though I'm pretty sure the back-up is a reprint of an old Hysteria story... heh.)

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel