Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Monday, March 20, 2006



V for Vendetta (the movie)

Got a chance to see "V for Vendetta" on saturday and, although it wasn't the best "comic" movie i've seen, it was def entertaining even if it took itself a little too seriously at times.

Natalie Portman did an excellent job as evie (sp?) and i gotta say this kid (Portman) has got a real knack for relaying heavy emotion on-screen (especially via her somewhat "natural" facial expressions). I'm not nearly as impressed w/ the casting for V (was that Agent Smith from Matrix under that mask?); even though it was primarily voice work, the performance came off a bit stiff and unimaginative to me for such a dynamic character. The rest of the cast was pretty much ho-hum... nothing to write home about necessarily but each held their own fairly well.

As for the script, i think it stuck fairly well to the V for Vendetta GN (as i remember it), although i'm not sure V's personality and/or the V/Evie relationship is captured on-screen exactly as Moore intended when he wrote the book. There are a bunch of smaller details that i know strayed from the GN to make the script more appealing to a broader audience but nothing outlandish enough to warrant a riot from fans.

I do know that Mr. Moore was against the production of this movie from the get-go (thought i'm not sure i have heard exactly why), and i'm definitely curious what he thinks of it now that it's finally in theatres.

The timing of the release of the film adaptation of V couldn't be better. There are some interesting correlations between V for Vendetta and the "real" world these days (though i think the same case could obviously be made at thousands of points in the past, present, and future)... One thing this movie does do (though not as well as the GN) is get you thinking ;)

PS - Forgive me for saying so since i know V for Vendetta is not really an "action" book/movie, but this flik could have used a bit more adrenaline via killer matrix-esque combat between V and the authorities (not TOO much more mind you). There is one VERY cool scene (at the climax) that had me wishing for more...

PPS - Isn't it sad sometimes the guys who get killed in movies who are just working for the bad guys for a paycheck? in this case V kills a bunch of cops here and there that you just have to think have very little to do w/ the corrupt gov'ts actual politics. Prob just poor slub family men working a 9-5er to keep diapers on the baby until they are stuck on the end of one of V's knives. Ha.



7 Comments:

20 March, 2006 12:14, Blogger Ryan X said...

Z, is the GN worth reading? I have had it on my shelf for almost a year, unread obviously. Anyone else that has an opinion is welcome to chime in as well.

 
20 March, 2006 12:25, Blogger zilla said...

I may get flamed out of the comic community for saying this but:

i enjoyed V for Vendetta (the GN) and i'm def glad i read it, but i'm not 100% sure i think as highly of it as most of the comics/GN community seems to. the overall story/message is right up my alley (and def interesting/unique) but i found myself fast-forwarding through it at times.

that being said, it's prob required reading for any GN fan (especially if you already own it ;)

 
20 March, 2006 12:26, Blogger zilla said...

PS - i DID enjoy V for Vendetta (the GN) much more than i did Watchmen (if that means anything).

 
20 March, 2006 17:13, Anonymous CellarDoor said...

I haven't read V for Vendetta, but I did check out Watchmen from my local library. Now maybe I'm missing some crazy good stuff in the middle and end of the story, but when my two weeks were up, I returned the book to the library half-read without any desire to recheck it out and finish it.
Sacriligeous, I know, but I thought it was pretty ho-hum.

 
20 March, 2006 17:56, Blogger zilla said...

see i'm with you man... i never did finish watchmen either.

 
22 March, 2006 09:01, Blogger Ryan X said...

I was fortunate enough to have 10 days at sea to read the Watchmen straight through. Even with all the time in the world, it was a struggle. I never would have finished it on my "normal" reading schedule. It was interesting (and more so because I got it all at once) and I can see how it is considered a "classic" by most. With that said, it felt like a lot of "classic" things to me, you try like hell to enjoy it, but ultimately can't find the allure. If no one had told you it was a classic comic, you wouldn't even have picked it up...just my opinion.

 
23 March, 2006 12:19, Anonymous cmoney said...

I have to admit, that's strange to hear. I picked up Watchmen years ago on its reputation, and couldn't put it down. Maybe it's because its ideas have been so entrenched into the mainstream comic world now that folks are having trouble getting into it?

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel