Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Wednesday, April 12, 2006



4.12 Shopping List

Sorry for the lack of posts the last few days, my wife and i were in Thomasville NC visiting some old (and very good) friends and their funny-as-hell 15 mo. old. Back in the saddle though this week (once i catch up on my 5 billion work emails).

Desolation Jones is always highly anticipated in this camp and i'm also extra hype for a new Batman Year 100. New Next Wave next week, and the X-Men Omnibus if i can get it for cheap online somewhere... That will be fun ;)

DARK HORSE
HELLBOY VOL 6 STRANGE PLACES TP (MR) - Next Amazon or Instocktrades.com order :)

DC
100 BULLETS #71 (MR) - I'm so used to reading these in TP that i'm having trouble w/ the single issues since i caught up... i could bare the wait i'd go back to TP only but not sure i can... great series.
BATMAN YEAR ONE HUNDRED #3 (OF 4) - I didn't get a full review in but professed my love for this mini a few weeks back. I'm all over #3.
DESOLATION JONES #6 (MR) - YES, YES, YES! Been a while but these are always worth the wait...
DMZ #6 (MR) - Pull.
LOVELESS #6 (MR) - Not exactly impressed so far but i keep holding on and hoping...

IMAGE
None.

MARVEL
YOUNG AVENGERS VOL 1 SIDEKICKS TP - I missed the YA boat for some reason (though i have read a few scattered issues). might pick this up.

OTHER
WARREN ELLIS BLACK GAS #2 - #1 wasn't exactly revolutionary but i enjoyed it (plus i'm just anxious enough to find out what's going to happen). Black Gas is for the zombie plague lover in all of us.

NEXT WEEK
CONAN BOOK OF THOTH #2 (OF 4), EX MACHINA SPECIAL #1 (OF 2) (MR), SGT ROCK THE PROPHECY #4 (OF 6), CAPTAIN AMERICA #17, DAREDEVIL #84, NEW AVENGERS #18, NEXTWAVE AGENTS OF HATE #4, WOLVERINE ORIGINS #1, and UNCANNY X-MEN OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC.

Filed in:



5 Comments:

12 April, 2006 20:29, Anonymous CellarDoor said...

Sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with anything on your shopping list, but I gotta ask.
I just finished the Powers Vol. 1 HC this week, and I was wondering if there are any plans or a date set for a 2nd volume. I did like it quite a bit (thanks for the recommendation Zilla), and I'm interested in reading more. However, if I can wait a few months and get another HC I have plenty of other titles to read in the meantime.

Also, I was wondering if you have read (and have opinions on) any of Bendis' other early Image work like Torso, Jinx, or Goldfish.

Again, I apologize for straying off topic.

 
13 April, 2006 15:50, Blogger Ryan X said...

CellarDoor,
I am also a covert to Powers a la Mr. Zilla. Currently reading Vol 8. It is fantastic. Anyway, I thought it a strange coincidence that you asked about Bendis' other works (Jinx, Torso, Goldfish) because I was just browsing those at Amazon a few minutes ago. If anyone has any comments on them, I would love to hear as well.

 
13 April, 2006 21:58, Blogger zilla said...

Cellardoor no worries partner... Off topic is just as good as on topic around here for sure ('specially since the "topic" is almost always good comics).

I def wouldn't wait around for the second Powers HC, it could be eons before that comes out especially considering the first one just hit a month (?) or so ago. Keep going though, like i told mr. x once, Powers doesn't really start to get good until the issues/TPs FOLLOWING this first HC....

That HC sure is a beaut though sin't it???

 
13 April, 2006 22:01, Blogger zilla said...

PS about Bendis' "other" work... i haven't read torso, jinx, or goldfish, but i do have sam and twitch (the complete bendis) on my wish list since i've heard good things about that...

and i will unashamedly pimp Alias again - i'm currently working through the massive (600+ page) Omnibus HC and IMO it's some of Bendis' best work (my favorite behind Powers).

props to uncensored for the Alias bump that got me started w/ a character/title i NEVER would have tried w/o a shove ;)

 
14 April, 2006 09:41, Blogger Rob Woods said...

Bendis' earlier work is a lot better than some of the stuff he's putting out now. (Jinx in particular is worth a look. Goldfish is technically its prequel, but I wouldn't say that they have to be read in any particular order.)

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel