Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Monday, April 03, 2006



Quick thoughts on Savage Dragon #124

I picked up the first couple of SD trades a few months back and had a great time with both of them. I've got Vol. 3 on my wish list, and have added SD to my monthly pulls, so i guess i'm officially onboard w/ the big green.

Larsen has created a wild cast of uber-original characters, and SD as a whole is an intelligent, action-packed ride w/ some of the "biggest" action sequences i've seen (just about every issue is packed w/ huge 2-page spreads and head-knocking sequences that bust through panel boarders one after the other), and some wildly original story lines.

I have to admit i'm a bit lost here in the recent issues (just picked them up starting w/ #122) so hard to adequatly give thoughts on #124 here w/o coming across as an out-of-touch idiot. Def enjoyed the fight sequence though (i'm telling you this guys action art is incredible), and the laugh-out-loud barbs at the current white house administration...

Overall, SD is a fun read, with plenty of laughs and more action than you can shake a stick at. i think it's pretty damn cool that Eric Larsen is doing the writing, art, color, AND lettering for the new issues in order to maintain a "creative consistency".



0 Comments:

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel