Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Sunday, April 30, 2006



X-Factor #6 (briefly)

As you know, PAD's new run at X-Factor has been one of my favorite new Marvel titles of the year, but (you could just feel a but coming w/ that opening sentence couldn't you?) i'm really, really starting to miss artist Ryan (?) Sook. I wasn't sure i would since the style Calero has been using is so similar but there's definitely something missing... especially in character's facial expressions.

Not only that though, i'm also starting to fret a bit about Layla Miller's ever-increasing role. PAD's sparing use of her early on was interesting (and actually had me thinking positively about the character for the first time since we "met" her last year) but she's gotten a little too central to the story for me here lately. Hopefully it's just the arc.

Anyways, i guess i'm not hiding my disappointment w/ #6. It wasn't horrible by any stretch but just a bit of a let down for a title i've come to anticipate each month. Maybe i'm just in a bad mood? Ha. C



3 Comments:

06 May, 2006 02:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. For some reason, I've seen this book reviewed on a lotta sites, and I have ta' say...I don't get it. From what I can tell alotta the contreversy is about tehe art. This guys sucks, that guy was great whateva. I've read 1-6, 4 of which I borrowed, and I'm done. Where is the great writing everyone is raving about? Pick up the pace? What pace? There's not even a pulse. Nothing happens in this book. It's just alking and talking and talking. Yeah sure every once in a while someone says something "cute" but so the fuck what? Nothing happens of any improtance, I don;t see a beginning, I don;t see a middle, and I sure as heck dont see an end.

 
06 May, 2006 02:30, Blogger comics should be fun said...

Hi Zilla people (person?)

I'm also going to stretch a bit here and say, while I've been reading your exeptionally well put together blog, you're way off base on Xfactor 6, which is the best issue so far. And I'm starting to think its getting a little weird to keep talking about missing an artist who only did one full issue after all. Maybe the facial expressions don't make sense to you because you keep expecting Sook's facial expressions and not dealig with what's in front of you. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong, but I see no problem with it.

 
06 May, 2006 08:32, Blogger zilla said...

yeah maybe you're right... i do need to come to grips w/ the art and what it "is". i just felt a weirdness about the art in #6 even though it is the same guy who did #5 (4,3?). can't really put my finger on it but was all of a sudden disappointed in the artwork in the last issue or two (where i hadn't been before really).

PS to anonymous, sorry you feel that way mate. i was really digging x-factor through the first 5 (ESP the writing), and don't plan to abandon it on one issue, but... let's hope it hasn't "jumped the shark" for me.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel