Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Monday, May 01, 2006



Finally finished the Alias HC (and this is the last i'll post about it i promise)

I finally finished the massive Alias HC today after a couple weeks of diligent effort (hell the thing's 28 issues + extras including some incredible cover art work from David Mack) and had to post one more time how much i dug this series, even though it's got next to zero of the components i typically go for in a comic (and HAS some that i don't typically read - like a female lead).

The final Purple Man arc is pretty damn fantabulous IMO, exploring a part of JJ's past she'd like to forget (and explaining a good deal about her). These few issues really wrap the series nicely and got me thinking:

Remember those conversations when we were kids (who am i kidding my brother and i were just talking about this the other day at the gym) asking "if you could have one super power which would it be?"?

Well i USED to say "invisibility" (with flight and super strength in a heavy tie for second) but now i think that Purple Man's pheromone power to get everyone you come in contact w/ to do anything you say... though nefarious in so, so many ways, would be pretty damn cool ;)

What about you guys?



5 Comments:

01 May, 2006 21:38, Blogger Rob H said...

You're really loving this Alias title aren't ya? :) Looks like I'll have to check it out at some point.

Super power? No idea but apart from flight and the usual super power suspects I'd have to go with shape shifting. It works wonders for Bigby Wolf.

 
02 May, 2006 07:58, Blogger zilla said...

ha i promise i will stop pimping this book. i'm prob setting up any new reader for a let down hyping it THIS much :)

shape shifting? ah yes that would def be cool. and you reminded me i need to pick up the next fables trade at some point (i'm only through #2).

 
02 May, 2006 11:40, Blogger Mark Fossen said...

Z -

My sister sent this to me as a birthday present off my Amazon Wish List. Really looking forward to it, thanks in no small part to your pimpage.

 
02 May, 2006 12:43, Blogger Pat said...

Alias is close to my favorite Bendis work (Powers probably still has that honor) - I really enjoyed it. I just had Bendis sign my copy of #1 at the Pittsburgh Comicon - he was a super nice guy.

If I had one super power... I'd have to go with telekinesis (did I spell that right?) because then you'd have flight (my second choice) along with all kinds of perks...

 
02 May, 2006 14:10, Blogger zilla said...

Mark - knowing what little i know about you, i def expect you to enjoy Alias... let me know what you think once your all the way through (it's massive).

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel