Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Thursday, June 22, 2006



More on Brubaker and Phillips "Criminal" and (unrelated) a new Oeming?

Check out this interview w/ Brubaker about his upcoming ongoing w/ Sean Phillips (of Sleeper fame): Criminal. This is going to kick ass w/o a doubt. Can't wait.
NRAMA: So how long are we looking at here? An ongoing? A series of miniseries?

EB: This book can go on for a long time and that is how we're playing it. We've got plenty of stories planned out, and we're even thinking of some self-contained issues and shorter arcs. Sean and I both want this to be a long-term project. And this is where the fans come in. I know people like to wait for trades or hardbacks or some kind of collection, but I'm telling you right now, this book is being built for the single issue fix. And if you jump on from the beginning Sean and I guarantee you a great fix every month. We need you to be our partner in this, because this is a book we really want to keep on with. So, if you're a fan of my stuff, and you dug Sean's art on Marvel Zombies, or you're one of our faithful readers from the Sleeper days, buy Criminal in comic form. We're going out of our way to include extras in the single issues, back-up stories, articles by me and others about the crime genre. We're going to create a book that's worth the money, and I honestly think that's something the comics market can support on a monthly basis.

--------------------
Also - Mike Oeming is writing AND drawing a new mini for the first time since Hammer of the Gods (which i loved BTW). Check out Newsarama's bit about The Cross Bronx. Looks $$ at first glance...



5 Comments:

22 June, 2006 15:08, Blogger Ryan X said...

This looks absolutely killer. Great interview and great preview pages. This is an award winning series no doubt (I smell movie...). Thanks for the link bro.

 
22 June, 2006 20:59, Anonymous CellarDoor said...

Lots of good crime titles coming out. Both Cross Bronx and Criminal sound great. As a side note, while reading through Image's Sept Solicitations I saw the Wanted TPB by Millar. The description sounds good, has anyone around here read the title?

 
22 June, 2006 22:18, Anonymous cmoney said...

I read and enjoyed Wanted, but it really depends on how much you like the more extreme side of Millar. It's very violent and f-bombs fly freely. It's a story about a guy who finds out he's the son of a legendary supervillain, and set in a world where supervillains long ago killed off all the heroes and took over. And they indulge themselves mightily in all of their respective vices, so I can see some being offended by it. One example of the kind of crazy we're talking is a character called, IIRC, the Excremental, who is composed of the waste material of the 666 most evil people who ever lived. Still, it's so over-the-top as to be pretty fun and blackly funny.

 
22 June, 2006 22:19, Anonymous cmoney said...

You know what? Wasn't the Excemental from the movie Dogma or something? Now I can't honestly remember what the character I'm referring to was called, sorry for the mix-up.

 
26 June, 2006 14:28, Blogger Sean Maher said...

Cmoney, I think the Wanted character you're talking about was actually called Shit Head.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel