Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Monday, July 31, 2006



Queen & Country Vol. 3: Operation Crystal Ball

Just finished reading Queen & Country Vol. 3 last night and def enjoyed it, although i can't help but feel that Greg Rucka's writing is being held back a bit by the artists they've thrown at the book so far (through the 3 volumes i've read). It's not that guys like Steve Rolston, Brian Hurtt, and Leandro Ferndandez can't draw (they def can), or that they don't shine in certain areas (there's a killer action sequence near the end of Operation Crystal Ball that won me over to Fernandez), i just wonder how Queen & Country could be w/ an a-list artist (i'd love to see Sean Philips draw this). And yes i know that the label "a-list artist" is extremely subjective :)

Regardless Q&C is a fun read, esp with the hooks into today's world climate (Al Queda, Iraq, terrorism, etc.). I'll def be picking up Vol. 4.

Ryan what do you think (or any other Q&C fans)?



1 Comments:

02 August, 2006 11:19, Blogger Ryan X said...

You're way ahead of me Z, I still haven't purchased Vol 3. My budget is getting tighter so I am slow to pick up trades these days. I have considered stopping flops, but I just can't, it is sort of an addiction (anyway feel like this? Ha ha, rhetorical question). Anyway, the whole Q&C series is on my wish list, I was hooked after the first two, def hitting the next ones soon. BTW, I agree that the carousel of artists on this series has potential to hurt the story.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel