Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Tuesday, August 01, 2006



8.2 Shopping List

Nothing too, too exciting this week but i'm feeling a bit anticipatory since i won't be able to get books next week (will be on vaca). I just finished reading Queen & Country Vol. 3 (Op Crystal Ball) as you guys prob know, and i'm about halfway through the 10th Usagi trade and the first Concrete book (which i'm enjoying BTW and will review).

As a side note: I dropped an order on Amazon for the recently released Silent Dragon TP, Q&C Vol. 4, Iron West (Guy you did like this right?), and Jenkin' and Ramos' Revelations (all for my trip next week).

I'm buying...

BPRD UNIVERSAL MACHINE #5 (OF 5) - This one's just about in the books...
EX MACHINA #22 (MR) - Def seems like it's been a while since the last Ex Machina... could be my imagination though. Regardless i'm in (as always w/ this book).
EXTERMINATORS #8 (MR) - Pull list.
EMISSARY #2 - Jury's still out on this one but i did enjoy #1.
AGENTS OF ATLAS #1 (OF 6) - Been hearing about this for a looooooong time. Hope it's good.
MOON KNIGHT #4 - Pull list.
PUNISHER #36 (MR) - Man you'd think Punisher came out twice a month. Gotta love this book's release schedule.

Notable...

ABSOLUTE KINGDOM COME EDITION HC - I can't seem to stop reading about this... can anyone recommend?
MOUSE GUARD #4 (OF 6) - I still haven't got my hands on 1-3 but the way people rave on this i might as well start somewhere ;)

Next week...

CONAN & THE SONGS OF THE DEAD #2 (OF 5), CASANOVA #3 (MR), and EMISSARY #3.



3 Comments:

01 August, 2006 15:57, Blogger Kross said...

Slow week. I'll be buying:

Detective Comics #822 - Not sure how long I'll hang onto this one. Not a huge fan of detective stories, but Dini's first was pretty good and the art was interesting if a little distracting
Ex Machina #22 - You're right, it didn't come out last month, but they've got two issues coming out this month. Joy! =)
Uncanny X-Men #477 - I'm an X-Men fan and Brubaker's X-Men crossed with the Dirty Dozen in space idea is the best thing to happen to the Uncanny book since...since...wow, it’s hard to remember a time before Chuck Austen and Claremont's horrible return. Best thing to happen to the book since the 1970s maybe?
Mouse Guard #4 - This is assuming my LCS actually gets it in on time. Really enjoying this one, very different from the other stuff I'm reading, and Mr. Gonzales over at Comic Book Commentary can't seem to praise it enough (which is why I picked it up in the first place).

I've not seen the Absolute edition, but Kingdom Come was a pretty good read if you're into the kind of deep, superhero story stuff like Watchmen and Marvels. I especially liked it because its kind of an allegory about the major comic book publishers (generally old school DC vs. the new school, at least at the time, Image with Marvel kind of stuck in between). Honestly, it’s worth a purchase for Alex Ross's art alone.

 
01 August, 2006 19:16, Blogger zilla said...

you know, i'm so geeked about Brubaker lately that i've considered picking up uncanny for an issue or two to check it out... will i be totally lost? how's he doing w/ it? on par w/ his DD and Cap Am work?

 
02 August, 2006 02:47, Blogger Kross said...

His Uncanny work is actually the first of his that I've read (blasphemy, I know). I still think Astonishing is the best X-Men book out right now, but I'm also a huge fan of Joss Whedon, so the deck is kind of stacked. Brubaker is bringing the X-Men back to their roots a bit. His team is mostly second stringers with Nightcrawler being the only really popular X-Man in the group. This has allowed him to recreate the "rag-tag superhero team” feel and mission based stories that Claremont's first run had. He's doing a very good job of showing how the very different personalities are still trying to gel together and he's letting some unexpected stars shine. Warpath, for instance, has quickly become my favorite member of the team while previously I had no love for him at all.

So to answer your questions more directly, I think he's done a great job with the first two issues, though I can't compare them to his work with DD or the Captain. I would recommend picking up Deadly Genesis trade if you haven't read it before getting into the series in order to really be caught up with what's going on. That story wasn't bad, but probably could have been better, however Brubaker was simply assigned to write it because he was going to be writing Uncanny which picks up where it left off, and the story itself wasn't his idea. Issue #477 is supposed to show what Vulcan, the mutant the X-Men are following into space, has been up to, so depending on how he writes it, it will either be a great way to catch up on what happened in DG, or leave you totally lost. I can update you on that one after I get to read it myself, either Wednesday or Thursday.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel