Zilla and the Comics Junkies

Sunday, August 06, 2006



Queen & Country Vol. 4: Operation Blackwall (very briefly)

Finished Q&C 4 this afternoon relaxin' on my new patio and unfortunately Operation Blackwall is my least favorite arc so far, which is a disappointment considering how much i enjoyed vol. 3 (Operation Crystal Ball). Rucka's story is interesting enough (though fairly far removed from the international intrigue/spy theme that's attracted me to this title), but i couldn't get behind the artwork. The now infamous (to me at least) Q&C penciler carousel stops this time on a guy named J. Alexander, who's style just doesn't do it for me, or this book IMO. Ugh.

Oh well, at least Rucka has yet to disappoint... which actually brings me to the question that got me motivated to drop this post: How are Rucka's novels? They're pimped in each of these trades and i was just wondering if anyone's read them? Did he start w/ comics or text-only?



3 Comments:

07 August, 2006 15:16, Blogger Ryan X said...

Not what I wanted to read, but I'll take it under advisment nonetheless.

 
07 August, 2006 18:10, Blogger zilla said...

i'm still getting #5 ;) the story really wasn't bad...

 
09 August, 2006 15:55, Anonymous dale said...

I read the first Q&C novel and most of "Finder". The latter was very much like the Robert Parker "Spenser" series which is breezy, time killer type stuff. You'll forget it in a day. The Q&C book was fine- of course a longer more complex arc than the comics, but after a while I realized how much I missed the collaboration.

If you take the writer/artist jamming Q&C becomes just another competent spy novel in the suspense section of your local bookstore.

 

Post a Comment


In no particular order:

Criminal, The Goon, Daredevil, Exterminators, Punisher, Hellboy/B.P.R.D (All), Powers, Godland, Usagi Yojimbo, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Conan, Ex Machina, DMZ, Desolation Jones, Fell, 100 Bullets, All-Star Superman, Ultimates 2, Loveless, and Fear Agent.

I'm recently back reading after a 15 year comics hiatus.

Zilla is not my real name.

I'm from Tejas living in VA. I'm married w/ 2 dogs. I'm an IT security consultant cranking the wheel for a big consulting firm in "real" life.

I watch the History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TLC, Mil Channel, ESPN and NFL Network, CourtTV (forensic files, etc.) and the Cartoon Network (love Genndy T's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars Adventures). My taste in movies: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Braveheart, Godfather, Tarantino (whatever), Kung-Fu (whatever), Westerns, Top Gun, Big Lebowski.

I love the outdoors and bs'ing around w/ my dogs.

In addition to being a comics junkie, i'm also a sports junkie especially when it comes to the Texas Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.



Blog contents copyright © 2005 Rod Wetsel